July 9, 2009

His Holy Name - Week 13 - Jealous

His Holy Name {Challenge 13, Jealous}
Challenge Word 13:
Jealous God’s Attribute: God is a Jealous God. He is El Kanna. He desires us completely. How does this affect my daily life? What is first in your life? Your children? Your husband? Money? Things? Crafting? Or could God be first in your life? God shares many times in the Bible that He is a jealous God. Well, when we think of His attributes and praising Him for who He is, how can we praise Him for being jealous? In our humanness, we are limited in understanding His jealousy. It is not a negative term as we perceive it. God being a jealous God means that He wants our total love and worship of Him. He is to be first in our lives. Our greatest desire should be to be completely loyal and faithful to Him. We are to love Him, honor Him, praise Him, and glorify Him in all things. He is jealous for His name and His character. J.I. Packer said “God’s jealousy is not a compound of frustration, envy, or spite as human jealousy so often is, but appears instead as a (literally) praiseworthy zeal to preserve something supremely precious.” I just love that! Do I have an intense passion for the Lord?




Is He supremely precious in my life? Do I have an eager desire to love Him, obey Him, and glorify Him in all I do and say? Even in the way we use His name should be honoring and glorifying. Do you take His name in vain? If so, remember He is a jealous God. For my page this week, I chose the color orange. This color helps me remember to have that zeal for Him. The verses I chose were: Exodus 34:14 "Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God." Romans 12:11 "Never be lacking in zeal but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord."

No comments: